tisdag 1 februari 2011

Poetry assignment

Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933)
Reliance
 "Not to the swift, the race:
Not to the strong, the fight:
Not to the righteous, perfect grace:
Not to the wise, the light.
But often faltering feet
Come surest to the goal;
And they who walk in darkness meet
The sunrise of the soul.
A thousand times by night
The syrian hosts have died;
A thousand times the vanquished right
Hath risen, glorified.
The truth the wise men sought
Was spoken by a child;
The alabaster box was brought
In trembling hands defiled.
Not from my torch, the gleam,
But from the stars above:
Not from my heart, life's crystal stream,
But from the depths of Love."

How to use poetry: Poetry for me could be everything and nothing at the same time. It could be meaningless blabber or it could have hidden messages and often poetry is used as a way of dealing with some of the problems in your life. Poetry is one of those things that prooves that form has no meaning what so ever, poetry can be one word, one scentence or a whole page. Poetry is in the writers and ofcourse in the beholders eyes. What's meaningless to me might mean the world to another. Poetry is also proof that there is some things that can't be controlled, sure there are some "decided" ways of poetry, certain categories. But no one can tell you that what you are writing isn't poetry.

You could use poetry as a way of showing your passion and your love towards another person, object or state of mind, crying for help or just to play with words. Poetry is a way of finding yourself, your own personal twist or to win someone over. There are alot of very talented writers and alot of poems that i believe should get alot more credit than they do. Poetry is what you make it, it's constantly changing even though the classics remain intact but yet always up to date.

Why I choose this poem: This poem is all about interpetation, it's a perfect fit to what I was trying to get through before. It's in the beholders eyes. To me this poem is a very obvious way of telling the reader that nothing is foretold, you create your own destiny and your own paths but all the descisions are based on the only thing that is certain and will follow you throughout your life in different forms and shapes; love! It tells us that the ones that makes it through difficulties are the ones that find themselves, the light inside your soul that makes you special. I like this poem mostly because it gives me room to associate with it. "The truth the wise men sought, Was spoken by a child" To me that means that the people in charge are not always the ones that finds all the answers and that even the most insignificant aspects matter. It gives me hope - not that they will ever listen, but that I can find a way to make my oppininons count.

The writer ment this poem to be about reliance, but to me it's not. And that's fine, maybe when I have read this numerous times I will get his point, but for now. I see this poem as a sort of "have faith, hope and power to you" kind of thing.

How I would use this poem:  This poem to me is something you discuss, it's not exactly the sort of poem you read to your loved one, nor to a friend. It's something you interputate, analyze and enjoy.

1 kommentar:

  1. Excellent work! Exactly what I was looking for - personal, well-argued opinions regarding a question that of course can be answered in a million different ways, all of them correct. What you've written here are structured and well expressed opinions, giving this text considerable weight in delivering your arguments. There are a number of language mistakes, but nothing that interferes with you sharing your thoughts on the matter. Once again, well done!

    SvaraRadera